Assalamualaikum...
All praise to Allah.and peace be upon His messenger.
"God of the Old Testament: Jesus or Allah?"
That was the title of a Christian-Muslim debate that was held in University of Tasmania last night.Indeed, it was a pretty weird topic to be discussed.well, at least it was strange to me. But it turns out to be a very exciting debate.very enlightening and there's heaps of knowledge that I've learned from it.
Though, I am not gonna discuss about the whole topic in general.I am certainly extremely underqualified for that (both representatives understand al-Quran, Hadith Colections, Bible(both Old and New Testament) by heart.and I do mean both of them).I just want to express a refutation against what was said by the Christian representative.
In the Old Testament, there was interchanging use of singular and plural grammar to depict God and His actions.However, the Muslim representative, who is an expert in Hebrew language stated that the plural verbs was used to indicate majesty.to indicate the 'hugeness' in terms of power and status.not plural by means of numbers or counts.So why does the Christian nowadays believe in the concept of Trinity,that is there are 3 (a number which comes after 2 and before 4) Gods? why there exist this sort of inconsistency?
The Christian representative refuted by saying that wasnt the case(by the way, he is not an expert in Hebrew.though his Arabic is excellent).He told us to look at the bigger picture here.Dont just pay attention on the nitty gritty grammar.the concept of god is complex.we cant just assume that he is a singular entity because of your statement there, said him.
And I say WTFish?
How can we get a bigger picture if we dont even comprehend the words correctly?
Lets have an example here.
There's this particular newspaper, of which I'll named Newspaper A, have this statement in the frontpage:
"The Arab is a terrrorist"
and theres another Newspaper, namely Newspaper B, have this statement instead:
"Arabs are terrorist"
Well, both newspaper were saying about the same key elements here."Arab" and Terrorist".the only difference is that one was using singular nouns while the other was using plural nouns.Cant you see just how big the difference of meaning that each sentence conveys?
So if we were to see those 2 newspapers' statements in a "bigger picture", we can see that Newspaper A was saying that this particular Arab, at that particular time, and at that particular place is a terrorist.
Meanwhile, Newspaper B was implying that all Arabs in this freaking world is a freaking terrorist.
And you are using such kind of ignorance to interpret your understanding of God and religion?
So yeah.that was one rubbish argument by him.
p/s: I know that this is a bit too late, and that I wont get anything from this (the debate ended last night! why dont you say it at that time Aiman?).but it's just so that I can get a peace of mind.i didnt get to think of this refutation last night.only well afterward that I've finally got a hang of it.damn.I am really slow a.k.a lampi = lambat pickup......you know there's time when you were thinking a lot about something that you cant even go to sleep at night.and suddenly you have a surge of idea comes flowing through.but sadly, that idea will go to waste since it was already too late for you to express it.that is what I am feeling right now and yeah,thanks to this blog for helping me easing this burden a bit.heh
No comments:
Post a Comment