Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rest in Peace

Assalamualaikum

All praises to Allah.and peace be upon His messenger.



"I hereby declare that life is extinct.
Rest in Peace."


Those are the last two sentences that my supervising RMO wrote in the progress note of a 53 year old patient today.

We've been looking after that patient, Mr. L since last Friday for an exacerbation of COPD. The staff have been doing everything they can just to keep Mr. L breathing. He was still alive when we saw him this morning. He was actually showing some signs of improvement as compared to before. but then, just about an hour after that, the RMO got a call from the ward.

We went back to the ward. This time to make a confirmation of death on Mr. L.

I have been following Mr. L's progress very closely for a few days already now. I have read his file. I keep myself updated with his condition. I was there when we took his blood for ABG almost every hour. I was also there when a 'code blue' was called for him two days ago. However, I have not been able to talk to him as he has been very confused and drowsy throughout his stay at the hospital (because he has not been able to breathe in enough air).

Now, we have come to the end of his progress note. No more note would be written for him. No more bloods would be taken. No more oxygen would be given.

I have seen many patients died in the hospital before. But this is the first time that I have seen a death certificate being filled. and that somehow gave me a bit of goosebump. maybe because I have got quite attached to this case. or it could be the choice of words that my RMO used. or...maybe I am just being overdramatic here.

Nevertheless, the fact is, there is just going to be more of this in the future. That is just the reality of inpatient care in medicine - Patients die.

And also a reminder to me that life is short...and death can come upon us at anytime.






notes: 
RMO = Resident Medical Officer
COPD = Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (a disease caused by cigarette smoking)
ABG = Arterial Blood Gases

No comments: